We Want to Be Your Bank
Bank of Akron was founded in 1900 and began as the Wickware National Bank of Akron at 38 Main Street (currently the home of Freeman’s Sport Shop) in Akron. Then, in 1919 it was renamed the Bank of Akron and changed to a State Charter. In 1927, it was relocated to the new & present location at 46 Main Street in Akron. The new bank cost $43,500 to build at that time and employed five people.
Bank of Akron survived the Depression as many banks failed and closed their doors. Mr. Eugene Forrestel (pictured at left) who was the Director and Vice President of the bank arranged with the State Banking Department to invest his money in the bank so that it could remain open. He was then elected President of the Bank of Akron in 1932 and served as President for 43 years. He was succeeded as President by his son Richard E. Forrestel in 1975. Richard’s son, E. Peter Forrestel II was also the President & CEO until retiring in June of 2017. Anthony J. Delmonte, Jr. became the President & CEO following Peter's retirement.
Over the years, Bank of Akron has changed from hand-written ledger books to web pages and internet banking. Our second century will bring many more changes, but we will stay true to our founders’ vision of bringing personal banking to our community and surrounding areas. As we grow, technology and new financial services work together to help us serve the needs of our customers.
At Bank of Akron, we truly appreciate the patronage and support of our customers and stockholders, as well as the loyal efforts of our employees and directors. We remain dedicated to providing quality service to each customer, as we look forward to introducing new customers to Bank of Akron’s person-to-person, community banking.